Thursday 17 January 2013

RIP Billy Boyce


I interviewed fashion designer, Billy Boyce a month just before he died, about his inspirations, influences and how Fashion Changed his Life.  

Shaun was an inspiring young talented designer and he had his life taken away from him.  A few days before his life was taken, I went to his apartment to view and borrow some of his collection, that was the last I saw him.

Your life can be taken away from you earlier than you know it that's why i'm doing this blog to showcase to world my journey of my life in the Fashion Industry.

Please check out his interview.




When did your interest in fashion and clothing begin?
My interest in fashion started right from a very young age where I took so much pride in my appearance and always opted for bold clothing. I loved looking a little different compared to other but yet not over-doing it to an extent where I start to look abnormal!

You were offered a permanent position at Vivienne Westwood while interning there. What made you turn it down?
Well working for some body else was never for me. I took the internship to learn a little and what a great and talented bunch to learn from. However, I always knew what I wanted and I was confident I got what I wanted from the experience.

How has fashion changed your life?
Well my work is my pride and joy. It feels good to see Rebecca, an interior designer from Kensington wearing a piece from the Billy Boyce capsule collection, or perhaps Jessica from the South-East London postcode also wearing a piece from the Billy Boyce mainline collection. These people sum up my brand nicely.

Where do you get your inspiration?
I’m in love with luxury! Anything that glitters pretty much sells itself to me. My love for luxe goods plays a big role in my inspiration. I love the 80’s vintage era, bold prints, classic laser cuts and sheer elegance. My family also inspire me a lot. Growing up watching my father in his old American vintage tailored suits and my mum in the sparkle sequin dresses definitely played a role. Listening to Motown music from that era also was also a key factor. Yet surrounding myself with young, fun and fierce friends was also very inspiring.

Are there any designers that you particularly admire?
When it comes to Womenswear I admire, Balmain, Chanel and McQueen. They construct it so brilliantly.
However, for Menswear, I totally admire Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs,  and Dame Vivienne Westwood.

Who is your target market for your brand? Who would you like to see wearing your clothes?
My clothes are made for an array of individuals from young novices to adventurous adults. One who dares to be different from all walks of life. The Billy Boyce brand has both the Capsule series that is a limited higher end range with a price point that may not be welcoming by the masses but I also have a “Mainline Collection that is aimed and priced at a contemporary and high-street market. We all deserve a little bit of luxury without breaking the bank.

Are there any pieces from your collections that you are particularly proud of?
I’m indeed proud of all the pieces from my collections as I wont create them if I wasn’t keen on them but my current favourites are from my latest AW12 capsule series collection. It’s a beautifully high gauge tweed trench coat and blazer from the Menswear and the Embellished Cropped hand made sequin jacket from the Womenswear of the same collection.

What’s next for Billy Boyce? Any insights into the next collection or future plans for the brand?
We are currently working on the brands Spring/Summer 13 Capsule series collection. With this, we want you to think 80’s Versace inspired silk prints, sequin numbers and gold polka dot silks.
They are so many things we have up our sleeves at this point in time but only time will tell and its best we keep some a secret.

RIP BILLY BOYCE 



1 comment: